There are several requirements that must be fulfilled before acceptance onto the IAS program:
- Students must be nominated by their home institution: 2022 IAS Nomination Form
A completed IAS application form: 2022 IAS Application
A copy of the applicant’s official academic transcript through the most recent fall semester.
Two letters of reference—one from the student’s academic advisor and one from a faculty member or administrator at the applicant’s home institution
A 500-word essay describing the student’s educational objectives while studying in Northern Ireland.
- Additional requirements based on course of study as described below.
NOTE: All application materials must be submitted as ONE COMPLETE PDF FILE via email by February 10, 2022. (See emailing instructions below.)
Additional program requirements:
- Art: Students planning to study art must submit a portfolio of their work on CD with their application materials or via a Web site. Art students should have completed significant course work before applying.
- Science or Math: Students planning to study science or math should have completed significant coursework in their field prior to studying in Northern Ireland.
- Education: Education/Teaching is available only at Stranmillis or St. Mary’s. Preference is given to students who have some in-classroom experience. Spring semester in Northern Ireland includes an in-school placement. Education students must, therefore, obtain a background check and bring the results to Northern Ireland.
- Music: Students interested in studying a musical instrument at University of Ulster – McGee will be required to pay extra fees not included in the tuition/fee waiver from UU.
- The University of Ulster has multiple campuses. Students attending UU are required to take all of their courses at one campus. Applicants should, therefore, determine if all of the courses they wish to take are available at a particular UU campus.
- At Belfast Metropolitan College students can generally take classes in only one subject field. International students can only take classes in Higher National Diploma (HND) or Foundation Degree (FD) tracks. Business/marketing students must attend for a full year.
- Applicants should talk with their adviser or campus director of international study to determine how study abroad will affect their academic program, specifically whether credit for courses in Northern Ireland will transfer to their home college.
- Registration for specific classes happens after a student arrives in Northern Ireland. Students should be flexible in selecting courses and should not assume that a particular class will be offered during the time they are in Northern Ireland.
- All of the participating Northern Ireland institutions prefer applicants for the Fall semester, especially for education students considering attendance at Saint Mary’s University College or Stranmillis University College. This is a preference and does not indicate that students will not be considered for the Spring semester.
How the selection and placement process works:
Final selection and placement of students is done by the institutions in Northern Ireland.
The selection committee will consider a student’s field of study to see if there are matching courses in Northern Ireland. Students who cannot advance their studies in a chosen field or who have not completed a sufficient number of courses in their major will not be accepted. The committee will also consider a student’s extra-curricular activities, especially those that relate to the student’s field of study.
Catholic institutions email all application materials to:
Consultant, Study USA & Irish American Scholars
University of St. Thomas – William J Flynn Center for Irish Studies
APCU (Presbyterian) institutions email all application materials to:
Association of Presbyterian Colleges and Universities
GBHEM (United Methodist institutions) email all application materials to:
Tammy K. Gieselman, Executive Director of Schools, Colleges & Universities
General Board for Higher Education and Ministry
Have a question? See Contact Page